ANALYSIS OF DEMOGRAPHIC CHARACTERISTICS BASED ON E-DEMOGRAPHY DATA
Keywords:e-government, e-demography, population register, migration, demographic characteristics, demographic research
The introduction of digital technologies, the Internet and social media into human life provides new information and data sources for the study of demographic behavior. The article studies the analysis of demographic characteristics based on e-demographic data. The creation of an e-demographic system is one of the urgent issues for demographic research, the management of demographic processes and for the study of demographic behavior. The article is devoted to the analysis of demographic indicators. The article examines the existing international experience in the field of e-demography, analyzes the current state of research in the field of creating a single population register. In order to build an e-demographic system, it is proposed to integrate public registers in various fields into a single platform through a personal identification number. Demographic analyzes can be conducted information on social networks, mobile phones, banking systems, insurance companies, via traces in various search browsers. The article analyzes demographic characteristics based on e-demographic data. The experiment examined the analysis of demographic characteristics of graduates who studied abroad. Demographic analysis was conducted according to the age, sex, marital status, education level, specialty, country of study and other indicators of the graduates. K-Means model was used to divide the graduates into different clusters. According to the experience, it is possible to divide graduates who studied abroad into clusters according to their age. Thus, graduates of each cluster can be surveyed according to other demographic indicators. E-demography creates new opportunities for social research and population data monitoring. The establishment of an e-demographic system will allow for population statistics, online census monitoring, in-depth analysis of demographic processes and the study of demographic behavior. Citizens of each cluster will be able to conduct different analyzes according to income, field of work, education and other indicators. The research proposes to build an e-demographic system on the basis of a single state register. In future research, the data in the various registers will be analyzed in depth.
- Alguliyev, R. M., Aliguliyev, R. M., Yusifov, F. F., & Alekperova, I. Y. (2019). Developing Electronic Demography as an Effective Tool for Social Research and Monitoring Population Public Administration Issues, 4, 61-86 [in Russian].
- Scherbakov, A. I., Mdinaradze, M. G., Nazarov, A. D., & Nazarov E. A. (2017). Demography. https://mgimo.ru/ [in Russian].
- Aliguliyev, R. M., & Yusifov, F. F. (2021). Architectural principles of building a national e-demography system. Problems of Information Society, 12 (1), 3-17 [in Azerbaijani].
- Poulain, E M., & Herm, A. (2013). Central population registers as a source of demographic statistics in Europe. Population, 68 (2), 18-212. https://doi.org/10.3917/popu.1302.0215
- Emilio Zagheni is new MPIDR director (2018). https://www.demogr.mpg.de/en/news_events_ 6123/news_press_releases_4630/news/emilio_zagheni_is_new_mpidr_director_5556
- Billari, F., & Zagheni, E. (2017). Big data and population processes: a revolution? Statistics and Data Science: new challenges, new generations. In proceedings of the Conference of the Italian Statistical Society. Firenze University Press. 28-30 June, Florence (Italy), 167-178.
- Zagheni, E. (2017). Data Science, Demography and Social Media: Challenges and Opportunities. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/presentation/
- Beduschi, A. (2018). The Big Data of International Migration: Opportunities and Challenges for States under International Human Rights Law. Georgetown Journal of International Law, vol. 49 (4).
- Alburez-Gutierrez, D., Aref, S., & Gil-Clavel, S. et al. (2019). Demography in the Digital Era: New Data Sources for Population Research. Book of short Papers SIS2019. Pearson. https://osf.io/preprints/socarxiv/24jp7/
- Boas, T. C., Christenson, D. P., & Glick, D. M. (2020). Recruiting large online samples in the United States and India: Facebook, Mechanical Turk, and Qualtrics. Political Science Research and Methods, 8 (2), 232-250. https://doi.org/10.1017/psrm.2018.28
- Pham, H. K., Rampazzo, F., & Rosenzweig, L. R. (2019). Online Surveys and Digital Demography in the Developing World: Facebook Users in Kenya. MIT Conference on Digital Experimentation. Cambridge, MA.
- Cesare, N., Lee, H., & McCormick, T. et al. (2018). Promises and Pitfalls of Using Digital Traces for Demographic Research. Demography, 55 (5), 1979-1999.
- Rama, D., Mejova, Y., Tizzoni, M., Kalimeri, K., & Weber, I. (2020). Facebook Ads as a Demographic Tool to Measure the Urban-Rural Divide. In The Web Conference 2020 - Proceedings of the World Wide Web Conference, WWW 2020, 327-338. https://doi.org/10.1145/3366423.3380118
- Feehan, D. M., & Cobb, C. (2019). Using an Online Sample to Estimate the Size of an Offline Demography, 56 (6), 2377-2392. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13524-019-00840-z
- Pötzschke, S., & Braun, M. (2017). Migrant Sampling Using Facebook Advertisements: A Case Study of Polish Migrants in Four European Countries. Social Science Computer Review, 35 (5), 633-653. https://doi.org/10.1177/0894439316666262
- Yildiz, D., Munson, J., & Vitali, A. et al. (2017). Using Twitter data for demographic research. Demographic Research. Vol. 37. Art. 46, 1477-1514.
- Monti, A., Drefahl, S., Mussino, E., & Härkönen, J. (2020). Over-coverage in population registers leads to bias in demographic estimates. Population Studies, 74 (3), 451-469. https://doi.org/10.1080/00324728.2019.1683219
- Gil-Clavel, S., & Zagheni, E. (2019). Demographic Differentials in Facebook Usage around the World. In proceedings of the Thirteenth International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM 2019), 647–650. ISSN 2072-9480. Демографія та соціальна економіка. 2022, № 1 (47) 53 Analysis of demographic characteristics based on e-demography data
- Billari, F., D’Amuri, F., & Marcucci, J. (2013). Forecasting births using Google. Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America. New Orleans, LA.17.
- Ginsberg, J., Mohebbi, M. H., Patel, R. S., Brammer, L., Smolinski, M. S., & Brilliant, L. (2008). Detecting influenza epidemics using search engine query data. Nature, 457 (7232), 1012-1014.
- Gangi, R. R., Rajesh, N. B., Sudhakar, N. P., Raviteja, B., & Rammohanarao, K. (2012). Tracking objects, using RFID and wireless sensor networks. International Journal of Engineering Science & Advanced Technology, 2, iss. 3, 513-517.
- Fire, M., & Elovici, Y. (2015). Data mining of online genealogy datasets for revealing lifespan patterns in human population. ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST), 6 (2), 28.
- Askitas, N., & Zimmermann, K. F. (2015). The internet as a data source for advancement in social sciences. International Journal of Manpower, 36 (1), 2-12.
- Scholz, R., & Kreyenfeld, M. (2016). The Register-based Census in Germany: Historical Context and Relevance for Population Research. Comparative Population Studies, 41 (2). https://doi.org/10.12765/cpos-2016-08
- Puhachova, M. V., Gladun, O. M., & Vynohradova, M. V. (2020). Using Electronic Register Systems in Population Censuses. Statistics of Ukraine, vol. 90, No. 4, 32-44. https://doi.org/10.31767/su.4(91)2020.04.04
- Register population. In Russia, a population register will be created (2018). Rossiyskaya Gazeta - Federal Issue, No. 122 (7585). https://rg.ru/2018/06/06/v- rossii- budet-sozdanreestr-naseleniia.html (accessed 26.12.2020) [in Russian].
- Careja, R., & Bevelander, P. (2018). Using Population Registers for Migration and Integration Research: Examples from Denmark and Sweden. Comparative Migration Studies, 6, No 1, 6-19.
- Vassil, K. (2016). Estonian e-Government Ecosystem: Foundation, Applications, Outcomes. World Development report.
- Lyngstad, T. H., & Skardhamar, T. (2011). Nordic register data and their untapped potential for criminological knowledge. Crime and Justice, vol. 40 (1), 613-645.
- Customer Segmentation Classification. https://www.kaggle.com/kaushiksuresh147/customer-segmentation
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Фархад Юсіфов, Нерміне Акхундова
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.